First Stock: JYP Entertainment
After debating for over 3 years on what stock to buy, I have decided on my first stock: JYP Entertainment. This is for numerous reasons.
1) I am a personal fan of the music that JYP Entertainment produces. I remember reading a book that talked about how small kids in the late 1900s invested in stocks they liked, such as Disneyland and McDonald's, only because they liked the company; they must be rich now. As a result, I'm buying the stock for the same reason; I like the company.
2) Looking at the graph though, I do think that now is a good time to buy. Unlike the American stock market, which seems to go up endlessly, the Korean market over the past few years have had a certain minimum and maximum it faces. In the case of JYP Entertainment, the minimum seem to be around 17,000-18,000 KRW. The stock listing is changing but it's in the low 19,000KRWs right now.
3) As you all know, the recent development of K-pop has been unbelievable. It's experiencing popularity in trends never seen before and I do think its a good time to buy for that reason.
4) Because of the COVID-19 pandemic as well, I think the music industry will prosper. I think the companies are struggling to change from a concert-based system to an online format but once that change occurs, I think that they'll profit once more and experience a higher valuation in the markets.
5) Putting everything aside, I think that history of the company as well as its leadership is excellent. Even when the Burning Sun scandal of 2019 (the biggest scandal in K-pop industry in which countless stars were found to be involved in illegal activities) occurred, JYP Entertainment artists were not included. Other entertainment companies listed on the market were found to have some involvement in major scandals (including but not limited to the Burning Sun scandal).
Hence, I have decided to buy stocks in JYP Entertainment. I'm not sure yet if it's correct to open up how much I spend buying stocks but I have bought it at 18,900 KRW on Friday, June 26th.
Photo used from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JYP_Entertainment